Science Wiz - Inventions Kit
For ages 8 to 80
Includes a 40-page science book with materials
4 Major Projects to Build:
- A spinning motor
- A clicking telegraph
- A light-flashing generator
- A real radio
Requires one D cell battery.
Step-by-step, highly visual instructions lead a child successfully through each invention.
Full-color illustrations present central scientific concepts which allow children to discover the “why” as well as the “how.”
The use of everyday materials demystifies the workings of common electronic components.
The animations that compliment the book on the website deepen and extend comprehension.
Although designed for eight year olds, Inventions has an extraordinary history and following by all ages.
- It has been used at MIT to mentor high school students in physics.
- It has been used at U.C. Berkeley to mentor women in science.
- It has been used similarly at other institutions including the Fermi Lab and the University of Texas at Austin.
- It was rumored that a number of physicists at U.C. Berkeley were spinning the handmade motors on their desks competing to see which motor would spin the fastest!
- Inventions received a rave review from the Women’s Society of the IEEE after using it for camp programs for elementary school students. The IEEE’s review boasted, “The projects actually WORK….even for large groups where individualized attention is not possible.”